Tuesday 23 July 2013

For the record: Week 2

Breaking the big boar drought

(July 8 - 14 2013)

By Ned Makim

Back in May one of my dogs, Dave, grabbed a big boar that did some significant damage. Some good field first aid and excellent work by the Gowrie Vet Clinic in Inverell saved the day but a pig like that is something that stays front of mind.
I'd hit him on ridge on my mountain block (I call it Happy Valley...) and spent every hunt since trying to pattern his movements in the hope of finding him again.

Before I got the chance for a look during Week 2 of the For The Record project I had to duck up north of town to the place I call Trap Rock. That's were I have a trap set for pigs and where we cut the ironbark for firewood. There'd been a pig or two sighted and getting out for a look is all part of keep faith with the landholder. I didn't find the pigs but did have a great chat with him and his wife. Over a cup of coffee they asked me if I was interested in opening up their property to people who might want to join in their environmental management program. I said it would be a great opportunity for city bound parents with kids who might want to learn about hunting with a purpose beyond just enjoying themselves. More thinking to be done but might be something there...

Prickly pear fruit, ripe and ready for the pigs...
 Before I left I checked the cameras again (nothing terribly interesting) and stopped to photograph a prickly pear in fruit. The fruiting pear is one of the reasons the pigs appear on Trap Rock from about May onwards each year. They love the fruit and will travel a long way to get onto them. Worth remembering if you hunt pigs in areas where the pear grows.

With that done it was back to the high country and the Happy Valley block for another look for pigs in general and the big bloke in particular.
Within 20 minutes of hitting the place I had a little boar on the ground thanks to Dave. The pigs had been feeding on an oats crop and it is always a good spot to have a look.
With a bit of fresh dog food on board, I pressed on, but not for long. Dave and Suzie jumped and showed intense interest in one little section of ringlock. I thought pigs must have crossed out of the paddock but when the dogs got over the fence they pounced on a small patch of thick grass right against the fence and flushed a mob of little pigs. Suzie grabbed one and Dave picked up one and then a second after I lent a hand. Four for the day so far.

Dave in his new Grunter Plates breastplate (watch for upcoming review).
That's the first pig of the day...
 None of the pigs were world beaters but my role on the private land I am allowed to access is pest control so every pig taken is counted.
A bit further on and I decided I'd put the dogs into a bit of scrub for a look on spec. I got out of the truck and almost immediately stepped into some fresh digging hidden by the long grass. There were a couple of big rocks turned over as well and I thought I might no be far behind a big pig...
I went into the bush with Mary, Dave and the pup Alice loose and Suzie on a lead just in case. Mary and Dave threw their noses in the air and flew into the scrub. A dark shape moved at pace ahead of the free dogs and I knew they were onto another pig. They hit what sounded like a reasonable boar and as they did a genuinely big fella moved to my left and tried to cut and run. I still had Suzie on the lead and she had seen the big pig. I unleashed her and within 40 metres or so she had him. He was more than a handful and Suzie was airborne, attached to his ear but airborne all the same.
I ran to Mary and Dave on their boar and stuck it. Dave was first to realise there was another pig to be had and he flew up the hill through the rocks and scrub to hit the boar which was still absolutely belting Suzie. Mary went next and the boar had three dogs to contend with...but not for long. I was right behind Mary and got my hands on the big bloke. I used my purchase on the boar to pull myself up hill and into position to  put an end to him.

The big boar. The photo doesn't come close to doing him justice. I've since
practised taking selfies so I don't miss the opportunity again.
He had fair tusks and they were thick.
 So that was six pigs for the day and I really think this was the boar that hurt Dave. It was close to where I had struck him the first time and I hadn't seen anything approaching his size on the 16,000 acre block I was hunting. I think it's him but time will tell. What is certain, however, was that this was the biggest boar I had put on the ground in 12 months. My own big boar drought was over...

WEEK 2:

Pest animals removed    6
Free range dog food      21kgs
Kilometres travelled        263kms

PROGRESSIVE TOTAL
Pest animals removed    10 pigs
Kilometres travelled         821kms

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell us what you think. We love to talk hunting...